|Dimensions||9.5 x 21.5 x 90 in|
Longcase clock by Ebenezer Fisher of Ellesmere circa 1839
The case is of oak with mahogany cross banding. The hood door has a detailed inlayed stringing made from Ebony and Boxwood. The trunk is flanked with impressively carved columns. The swan neck pediment has unusual extra swags.
The 8 – day movement is well constructed and typical for this date, striking the hours on a single bell.
The dial is very finely painted with a scene of a courting couple painted in the break arch. The flowers painted to the corners are very well executed on a deep gilt background. The dial is signed ‘Fisher Ellesmere’.
Ebenezer and Margaret Fisher of Ellesmere known to be working in Cross Street between 1839 – 46. Repair marks behind front plate = June 1839, November 1859, W. Cross, another Ellesmere clock maker. Fisher also made the recently restored clock in the tower of St Martins Church.
The clock has been fully restored and is available for immediate delivery.
This Clock is now Sold